I am a Software Developer based in San Francisco. Recurring themes and interests: user interfaces, data analysis and visualization, programming languages. I am a Founding Engineer at MotherDuck, a startup building a new kind of serverless data platform based on DuckDb.
From 2021 to 2022 I was a Principal Engineer at Snowflake, working on Snowsight, Snowflake's Web UI.
From 2017 to 2020 I was an Engineering Manager in Developer Infrastructure at Facebook, supporting the HHVM team.
From 2013 to 2017 I was on a self-funded sabbatical, doing a mixture of open source software development and private consulting.
From 2004 to 2013 I lived in New York City and worked for Goldman Sachs.
From 1998 to 2004 I did a PhD on functional reactive programming and graphical user interfaces in the Yale Haskell Group.
I live in Noe Valley in San Francisco with my wife Eirini, our daughter Clio and our dog Zoe.
Open Source Side Projects
- Taming Tab Hell with Tabli, March 2020
- A Tutorial Introduction to OneRef - A technical introduction to the OneRef state management library for React, May 2019
- Asynchrony Support in OneRef - Technical details on interleaving asynchronous operations with state updates in OneRef, May 2019
- Antony Courtney,
Modeling User Interfaces in a Functional
Language, Ph.D. Thesis, Yale University, March, 2004.
gzipped ps (5,181k)
Slides (from thesis defense): PowerPoint (1,325k), PDF (1,691k)
- Antony Courtney, Henrik Nilsson and John Peterson, The Yampa Arcade. In Proceedings of the Haskell Workshop, September, 2003. pdf (655k), ps (3,465k), gzipped ps (675k)
- Antony Courtney, Functionally Modeled User Interfaces. In Proceedings of the Tenth Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems, June, 2003. pdf (619k), ps (1,980k), gzipped ps (709k)
- Henrik Nilsson, Antony Courtney and John Peterson, Functional Reactive Programming, Continued. In Proceedings of the Haskell Workshop, September, 2002. pdf (178k), ps (3,007k), gzipped ps (802k)
- Antony Courtney and Conal Elliott, Genuinely Functional User Interfaces. In Proceedings of the Haskell Workshop, September, 2001. pdf (204k), ps (2933k), gzipped ps (408k)
- Antony Courtney, Frappé: Functional Reactive Programming in Java. In Proceedings of Practical Aspects of Declarative Languages, Springer-Verlag, March, 2001. pdf (168k), ps (168k), gzipped ps (66k)